gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I have a vw passat 2006 2.0t automatic. The problems i have

Customer Question

Hi, i have a vw passat 2006 2.0t automatic. The problems i have is that PRND light on dashboard all light up and the transmission cannot shift to 4th gear, 5th gear, and 6th gear. Reverse is ok. There are 4 codes, P0734, PO735, P0729, P0455. Also sometimes the Praking Brake light on said Parking brake fault, when it happens, my car cannot gear up, it has to go back 1st gear and i can barely reach 50mph
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 10 months ago.

I would start by checking the connectors on the front of the transmission, to see if they are weeping transmission fluid through the pins and shorting the circuits.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just refilled the transmission fluid and dont see anything through the pins. But the sunroof's water holes is leaking into my car

Have you checked the transmission control module, under the passenger carpet? Roll the seat back, remove the side trim, and lift the carpet enough to get your arm under there, slide the black plastic box forward and pull it out from under the carpet (wiring is long enough)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not check that, so you think it would be transmission computer problem?

It's possible, especially if you say you have water getting in

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also why the EPC light when it pop up, my car will go back to first gear and after that, i can speed up to 60mph?

There's no way to know for sure without scanning the transmission control module for faults. The EPC light will illuminage anytime there is an issue that deals with power transfer, whether it is torque delivery from the engine relating to the throttle body, or a transmission issue with power delivery to the wheels.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how csn i check fault code from trnasmission control module?

You need a scan tool that can access the module- SNap-On or other professional reader, factory tool, or Ross-Tech VAG-COM software and connector.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is regular scanner tool work? The one i used to check and got 4 codes i told you

You need to be able to access the transmission control module. Most "generic" scan tools like they have at the auto parts store will only read the engine control module.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
how can i buy the vag com?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also, do you think it is transmission speed sensor fault?

what fluid did you use for the transmission, and how did you check the fluid level?

VAG-COM can be bought through the Ross-Tech site. It is a couple hundred bucks, but comes with the connector cable, and full customer support, and works on any Audi and VW product. They have a shareware version as well but you would need to source your own cable, and they don't offer customer support. They have their own forum on VWVortex as well.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Atf IV, and i dump all the old fulid and refill by the pump
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you think it is im limp mode?

Were you having these issues before changing the fluid? And I don't understand what you mean by ATF IV. What brand and type of ATF is it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I dont know, i just bought this cars for few weeks, and for the transmission fluid, i asked and bought from advanced auto part
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When i bought it, it already has these problems with shifting

Looking into some bulletins, it looks like the valve body is the issue. There is a sticking valve inside that regulates the pressure for those upshifts and it is a failure point. One some they failed at less than 10k miles.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Why do you think it is valve body issue?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you dont think it is transmission speed sensor fault?

What makes you think it is a transmission speed sensor fault? Your faults are for for each of the shift points, that the gear monitoring is saying it should be in one gear when it is in another.

I am thinking it is the valve body, because on this vehicle with this transmission it was a common issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I just think off because the transmission control module cant regconize the speed it need to shift to 4th gear and higher. I think speed sensor job is tell the speed to the transmission module so it can command to shift to next gear

If it were seeing a spec from the transmission speed sensor that was out of range or "implausible" it would set a fault.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you know where is ut locate?

There are two transmission speed sensors- one registers the input speed, and one the output speed. They are both located above the valve body, so you would need to drop the pan and remove the valve body to expose them. Again, especially since there are two, if one of them is reading different from the other, it will set a fault.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
you think my cat possible have problems by those sensors?

I have already told you that I believe the problem to be in the valve body, and that those sensors are NOT the problem, as they would throw a fault if they were not in alignment with one another.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hey, so today the car failed to shift to 3rd gear and cannot shift to reverse, so how many percent you think the fault is valve body problem and how much it cost to fix? Im currently college student and i dont have much money
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is it cheaper than replace the transmission?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hey, so today the car failed to shift to 3rd gear and cannot shift to reverse, so how many percent you think the fault is valve body problem and how much it cost to fix? Im currently college student and i dont have much money.Is it cheaper than replace the transmission?