sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a Cadillac SRX with 112k miles on it. It is

Customer Question

I have a Cadillac SRX with 112k miles on it. It is hesitating when I drive. It almost feels like it is losing power for a split second. It does it more when I'm going in the 45-55 mph range. When I'm accelerating strongly or going 60+ mph, it rarely does it.I've only had the car for 4 months. Purchased it from a private party so I don't know much about prior care.Any ideas?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have quite a few different things going on. You may be feeling an ignition system issue such as a loss of spark due to a momentary loss of cam or crank signal, it could be an electronic throttle control issue, if you see the RPM's climb but the power isn't transmitted to the wheels then you have a transmission concern.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to see if any fault codes are setting. Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't checked for any codes b/c the check engine light hasn't come on. Should i do it anyway?

Yes, I recommend checking for fault codes as a starting point. You may have a one trip failure set and the engine light isn't on yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll start there.
I can say that I haven't noticed the rpm's climbing. Out of curiosity, is the momentary loss of cam or crank signal an expensive thing to fix?

A cam or crank sensor issue isn't expensive to fix and in most cases a code would be set. A cam or crank sensor would run $2-250 for parts and labor depending on local prices.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. I guess I'll hope to God that that's it and not the transmission.

If you don't notice the RPM's climbing without it pulling (the trans slipping) then it probably isn't a transmission issue.