hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 Years Automotive experience,ASE Master & L1 certified. Ford certified trans rebuilder
285738

I am writing because my 2006 ford explorer will not go in

Customer Question

I am writing because my 2006 ford explorer will not go in reverse but goes fine in forward going through the gears it works fine. I am trying to figure out if its a transmission... it also will work in 4wd both hi and lo low
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes what would you like to know
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  hdgene replied 10 months ago.

Hello, no reverse gear operation is an indication of a mechanical fault in the trans. If all the electronics were disconnected it will always have reverse and one foward gear range. Need to verify trans fluid levl is full and not burnt, check for any diagnostic trouble codes that may be stored. There are a couple different transmission options for this year explorer depending on the 17 digit vin number. But most likely an internal trans failure.