Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Just bought a Porsche Boxter Triptonic 1997. To turn it on,

Customer Question

Just bought a Porsche Boxter Triptonic 1997. To turn it on, sometimes I have to put the car into neutral (and taking it out of park is more difficult than it should be). The transmission shifts fine once in gear (any gear). However, to take the key once in park, I have to do some jiggling with the stick shift - otherwise no key. It takes a bit but I can get it out.
lastly, at times, the dash indicator says I am in a different gear (although I know what gear I am in since the stick shift is in that gear)...so I might be in drive while the dash says I am in reverse (this does not happen all the time). so the indicator is not moving along with the stick shift.
Any ideas?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

One of the most common causes for this fault here can be the shifter cable itself at fault.It can bind up or corrode internally and cause the shifter to be difficult to shift in and out of park as well as show the incorrect gear in some cases.The shifter cable needs disconnected from the shifter to see if the shifter then shifts smoothly.If it does when it is disconnected then the shifter cable needs replaced.If the shifter still shifts hard with the cable disconnected then the shifter assembly needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete