Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Charrie, My issue is with 04 Volvo S60 2.5t shifting

Customer Question

Customer: Charrie, My issue is with 04 Volvo S60 2.5t shifting irractically, only after driving in town for a few ***** *****. Its fine on the freeway drives smooth etc. and ABS light turns on and off and usually I get a bumping while braking and a noise, after a few pumps it stops.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The check eng light is on stating transmission service required. THE FLUIDS ARE FINE IT HAS 140,000 ***** *****
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Volvo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

With the check engine light and transmission service required light on this indicates a fault is detected with one of the transmission components in most cases.The anti lock brake system most likely has a fault code as well.This may be an issue with a failing wheel speed sensor as this will cause erratic shifting issues here if one or more of the wheel speed sensors is sending an incorrect wheel speed signal.

What has to be done here is to have the fault codes read out of the anti lock brake computer as well as the engine/transmission computer using a scan tool that will plug into your vehicle and can communicate with all computers to see what codes are set.Once this is done the codes can be diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete