rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

99 lexus es300 won't shift into 4th gear. Replaced all of

Customer Question

99 lexus es300 won't shift into 4th gear. Replaced all of the vacum lines, PCV valve & grommet, plugs, timing belt, tested and cleaned the OCV valves. The car also surges on take off and idles a little rough.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

The first thing to do right now is do a complete scan of the computer looking for fuel trim data, stft and ltft. Also look for present pending and history codes. There many things that can cause the trans to not shift, but with the other issues you mentioned, the scan is paramount right now so we don't start replacing expensive parts or trans work.

Thanks, Ron