Trans_ Service
Trans_ Service, ..................
Experience:  .................
14892859

99 lexus es300 won't shift into 4th gear. Replaced all of

Customer Question

Customer: 99 lexus es300 won't shift into 4th gear. Replaced all of the vacum lines, PCV valve & grommet, plugs, timing belt, tested and cleaned the OCV valves. The car also surges on take off and idles a little rough.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Ummm I already did
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lexus Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Trans_ Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise if the check engine light is on at the dash. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the check engine light is not on and there are no DTC codes.

Ok. Let me ask you this: When you are driving the car, when it is warmed up, where does the temperature gauge read? On this car, 4th gear is prevented from occurring if the coolant temperature is below 177 degrees F. This is by design. This is to lessen emissions if 4th gear was available on a 'cold' engine. If the temp gauge is reading anywhere below 1/2 of the way up, your coolant is not hot enough to allow 4th gear to occur. The remedy here would be to replace the engine coolant thermostat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give that a try. Not sure about the surging issue, the code P1349 OCV valves came up. I pulled them, tested good, had some sludge down on the valleys, cleaned and blew out the passages.

If you have sludge in the passages, you may have sludge in the pickup of the oil pump screen. This will lessen your oil pressure to the OCVs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. I just went out to start it and unless I press the pedal it will not run on its own

That would be a faulty Idle Air Control valve. This is a device that is mounted to the throttle body. The computer commands a small shutter that opens and closes. The more open it is told to be the more Idle the car achieves. This is a very common issue. If this valve is faulty, it will allow too much air into the engine and this will give you a surge or hesitation. I woudl recommend replacement of the Idle Air Control valve. Cleaning them is not effective.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it, was kinda thinking that was an issue. I metered it and it was at 65ohms, the only issue is the Haynes book doesn't give a tolerance for it. We will replace that today, Napa has one on stock. Could that also be causing the "Limp Mode"? Everything I'm seeing seems to be a vacuum leak hence why we went through and replaced the vacuum lines that were hard as plastic. I will replace it and advise. Thank you

The P1349 is causing the Limp condition.