Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Truck 2004 dodge 2500 diesel (auto-matic drivetrain),

Customer Question

truck 2004 dodge 2500 diesel (auto-matic drivetrain), miles(230,000)
Earlier ...driving in 4L(4-wheel-drive-low) all day snow plowing...later that day go to (dis-engage) or shift out of 4L to 2H (2-wheel-drive HigH) while on the highway..
..and the (4wd) shifter on the floor(small shifter) just flopps back and forth....which doesnt allow me to shift into any gear option period.... so im stuck in 4L
like the leakage has come loose or apart,
is it something that has come (loose or apart) on the outside of the transmission?
that can to tighten or replaced or fixed or re-welded
that connects the shifter stick-linkage to the transmission????
or do you think its something that is (internal) within the transmission itself that has come apart/broke/snapped/loosen that now does not allow it to shift out of (4-wheel Low)
because currently the truck drives fine, im just stuck in 4-wheel drive low permanently
because the shifter just flopps back and forth, like something has dis-connected of something
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Your shifter shaft for the transfer case connects to a shift rod under the vehicle.There is a bolt that holds it together.It is possible this bolt has come loose and fell out or the shift rod has broken needing replaced.I do have a picture but it is kind of small but I will post it here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hx3k1r8b8q40sf4/tcase-01-24.gif?dl=0

It is located near number 5 in the diagram.

Most of the time this shaft disconnects from the shift rod and needs reinstalled to correct this here with a new bolt.In other cases the rod/linkage becomes damaged or falls apart and needs replaced.It is possible that this is an internal mechanical fault in the transfer case but this isnt as common as the shaft or shift rod issue.

You will have to inspect this yourself from under the vehicle or have a shop inspect this to see what needs to be repaired to correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete