sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Thank you. regarding my 2003 mpv transmission
, sure.

Customer Question

Customer: thank you. regarding my 2003 mpv transmission
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sure. transmission shifts to 3rd only after 25mph it means revving up to 4,500 rpm
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mazda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes i would one thing: I'm not sure if it is a mechanical or electronic issue
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: I like the SATISFACTION GUARANTEE you're talking about
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Jeromy Madison replied 10 months ago.

Hello, are you still looking for an answer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Can you start by explaining your issue again, I am sorry but it hard to read.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Mazda MPV 2003. Won't upshift to 3rd, until you reach about 25mph and you ease the accelerator.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
after that, all goes normal. it is annoying to go on 2nd gear all that time, because the engine revs 4,000+ rpm to reach that speed.
Scanned the TCM, no codes.Also, if you select 3rd gear when driving over that speed, the transmission goes into 1st gear!!!
I should tell you that we disassembled the transmission looking for trouble, and nothing was found.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We only replaced some clutch discs, bands that were worn naturally.
The scanner shows that the input and output speed sensors work fine.Other than that, the transmission shifts smoothly and selects gears normally (parking, reverse, neutral, etc.)Before all this, (some months ago), the first sympton was that, when you go downhill or taking the foot off the accelerator, the transmission went to neutral (con compression), on any gear selection.
Also, sometimes the O/D is not engaging.This collection of symptoms makes me wonder if the TCM is damaged, or maybe the valve body is somewhat troubled. We didn't disassembled it to inspect or clean it. The technician said it was kind of risky...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What's your opinion? Do you know the logic of this transmission? Is there like a "limp" mode (like in Chrysler) or something similar that prevents the faster gears to engage?Where is the TCM located?I know there is a bulletin for reprogramming the TCM, but it refers only as a just "SHIFT SHOCK", as I could read. These collection of troubles is something worse.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm here if you need more information
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
well, it seems that there is no answer...
please cancel my request.
thank you.
i expect no charge for this

Ok, well, I do agree with you that the issue is most likely the tcm.

Let me do a little research and get back to you as to the location.

I am getting you information. The tsb that is out there is for shift lock and a reflash, that may or may not help your issue.

There is no separate tcm it is all included in the pcm. Which i will include a diagram to locate.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i searched on an online dealer parts catalog and showed a small box separate from the engine module...

ok, I think it located together, but my service manual does not provide a location.

I am sorry and I will opt out and maybe you can find the answer to your question.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll start to disassemble & look for it.
Thank you

ok

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

If there are no fault codes setting it's unlikely that you have a TCM issue.

Have you checked the fluid level and condition?

Did the problem start suddenly or has it progressed over time and gotten worse?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
As I stated, the transmission was disassembled and checked all over internally. The fluid is new. Please read all my information carefully.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I was charged $20. for no answer yet on troubleshooting nor module location. As a mechanic myself too, I am looking for an expert with experience on this transmissions and mechanical/electronic troubleshooting. I have done normal procedure checks and no faults are found on both areas. I know it sounds unreasonable, but want to drill down deeper before buying a new module or replace the entire transmission for this only fault. I need expert advise. Otherwise, please consider reversing the charge.

If the problem only involves one shift point there is little chance it isn't an internal trans issue.

Does temperature affect it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no. It runs the same all the way. I thought that the input or output turbine speed sensor were faulty, but was dismissed with a scanner. They operate OK

A speed sensor or other electrical issue will set a code and put you in limp in. The problem is either a slipping clutch or engine performance issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
clutch disks were replaced, as I stated before, because of normal wear. The technician and myself knew that after rebuilding, the transmission was going to run exactly the same as before. And it happened. Therefore, chances of a slipping clutch is almost cero. I can suspect of the valve body, or a solenoid. We checked resistance on the transmission connectors and everything ok. The valve body was not disassembled.

I understand that the clutches were replaced but that doesn't mean one isn't slipping now. Your problem is either a slipping clutch or it isn't actually commanding the shift due to an engine/sensor related issue such as an inaccurate TPS.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would agree if the problem started AFTER rebuilding. As I stated, it behaves exactly the same.

I understand the problem is the same but the fact that there was internal trans work done doesn't change the possible causes. In any event the problem was either misdiagnosed or the trans wasn't assembled correctly.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I understand your opinion. What can I check for from outside? Pressure from a determined point (please provide diagram)? Band activation with the scanner (what band)? In general, what is the troubleshooting for this symptom and your guess/opinion?
I want technical guidance, please.
Thank you.

I'm unable to post directly from the service information due to copyright.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
suddenly

What does the scan tool show for the desired gear when you believe a shift should be happening?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I could see the 3 speed sensor readings ok, the solenoids act as they should. It just. One more thing I'm forgetting to tell you: It will stay in 2nd gear for too long, but when you lift your foot (maybe tired of revving too much or just because of car traffic), SOMETIMES IT BEHAVES LIKE A COMPRESSION ON 2ND GEAR; sometimes it goes to neutral...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I could see the 3 speed sensor readings ok, the shift solenoids act as they should. Any other reading you need?

I will leave your question open for others as well as we seem unable to effectively communicate. If another expert is able to help they will respond here.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
good.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can see that I was charged $20.00.
After your last answer, I can see that this is useless to me, and please process a refund for me.
Opinions are not troubleshooting information I can use, therefore I will look for information somewhere else.Thank you for your attention on my refund request.