Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Doing engine swap on a 2001 Ford excursion with V 10

Customer Question

Doing engine swap on a 2001 Ford excursion with V 10 automatic trans and NP 273 transfer case putting in a 2001 dodge Cummins 24V with a ZF 6s-650 manual transmission and a NP 272 Transfer case back in its place
First off is a ZF6-650 from a 2003 f450 the same transmission as one from a 2003 f250???
What all is involved in getting cruise control to work is it just plug and play or does it need rewiring which cruise control box do you use Ford or dodge???
Which transfer case would be better the NP 273 or the NP 272 strongest and most durable are they both chain drive cases???
One last thing will the pedal assembly from a 97 f150 work the 2001 excursion if not which pedels do I need the excursion gas engine pedal or the Diesel version
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  John Vieira replied 10 months ago.

Assuming you are putting all the Cummins stuff in the Excursion that would mean the electrical system is going also that would mean you would need the pedal off the Dodge. Using the power train out of the dodge I would recommend using the electrical system out of the Dodge in order for it to work. I would imagine that both transfer cases are Strong and durable, probably real close to the same. Real good question.