Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  43 years of automotive repair, Smog license
12365498

1988 dodge dakota se std, 3 spd auto transmission. Wont

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. 1988 dodge dakota se std, 3 spd auto transmission. Wont start out in 1st, wont shift up. I can manually shift down to 2nd and start out in 2nd, but will not shift up nor down automatically. Cannot find a procedure to deal with this transmission problem.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what do you want to know beyond what I described?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I see that this question is fairly old. Do you still need help with it?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1988 dodge dakota se std, 3 spd auto transmission. Wont start out in 1st, wont shift up. I can manually shift down to 2nd and start out in 2nd, but will not shift up nor down automatically. Cannot find a procedure to deal with this transmission problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, have you removed the transmission oil pan and checked for any metal or excessive clutch material?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I'm fairly certain the problem is shift linkage or sensor. The problem began after a shop replaced the throttle body carb.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the 3 spd torqeflite w/o overdrive
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, gotcha. Maybe the shop did not reconnect the kick down/throttle pressure cable. I guess we should start there. Remove the air cleaner and look at the throttle body. There should be the throttle cable from the gas pedal, and the kick down cable attached to the throttle body linkage. If you have cruise control, then there will be a third cable attached. Check that and let me know what you find.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been raining here so work halted. The throttle cable and kick down linkage is on the drivers side of throttle body. Will the kick down cable prevent the transmission from starting out in 1st or returning to 1st at a full stop? If so what is the correct procedure for setting the linkage?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

No, it won't prevent it from starting out or returning to furst, but the adjustment should be checked. I will look for a procedure for you and send it to you today.

Chris