Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I own a 1998 Dodge Ram with a Cummings diesel. The truck

Customer Question

I own a 1998 Dodge Ram with a Cummings diesel. The truck will run fine until it gets warm. It then losses power and will only get up to a speed of 55 mph. It goes in and out of this problem, and once the truck has sat, it will run normal and the loose power? Not sure if a transmission problem, or a turbo. Please advise
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
After my truck is warmed up is when it starts to lose power. I can excellerate all the way to the floor and my truck will not speed up at all. I changed the fuel filter but that didn't work. Checked the transmission relay but that doesn't seem to be the problem either. I don't know what else to check. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

If this were a trans issue you would notice it not shifting based on throttle position and speed and high rpms.

At full throttle are the rpms not able to increase, black smoke from the exhaust, bogging down, misfiring?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If you are unable to rate my response GOOD or EXCELLENT now. Please let me know why ( if I need to help more) and when you will be able to.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
At full throttle it boggs down but doesn't misfire. No black smoke, it runs fine (75 mph) until it warms up then it boggs down & wont go over 55 mph.

Since it is bogging down this is more likely related to the engine. Any codes stored? Exhaust restriction? Is boost dropping out? Is fuel pressure dropping?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Went to Auto Zone and their gadget came up with these codes:
P0216 Injector/Injection Timing Control Circuit
P0382 Glow Plug/Heater Circuit B
P1693 A companion DTC was set in both the ECM and PCM
P0382. Glow Plug/Heater Circuit BThen I went to Advanced Auto and their gadget came up with this code:
P1565 Glow Plug/Heating MalfunctionWhat do you recommend?

Do you need me to upload the Dodge diagnostic steps for these codes, if so I need to do that in the private contact offer I am sending.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Code P0216 indicates a fault in the Injector/Injection Timing Control electrical circuit for a predetermined period of time.How do I fix this? Is it a part I need to buy or is it an electrical component that I need to have reprogrammed? Where is it located?

Do you have a 12 or 24 valve engine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
24 VALVE DIESIL BY CUMMINGS

Since you opted for me not to upload the repair guides for these codes I will try to explain the steps for this code 0216. The most common faults for this code are:

• Diesel Fuel Injection Pump
  • Fuel Transfer Pump
  • Fuel Filter

Is there a restriction at the transfer pump inlet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
In the morning I'll look to see if there is a restriction at the transfer pump. I changed the fuel filter 3 days ago so it's not that.

Super

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 10 months ago.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks Chris