Edward
Edward, Automatic and Manual transmission rebuilder
Experience:  I have rebuilt various transmissions from Ford and GM and some imports.
29534642

I have a 91 Dodge truck four-wheel-drive I up the

Customer Question

I have a 91 Dodge truck four-wheel-drive I burnt up the transmission will the transmission out of a 95 work
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help. First, what make is your truck? is it a ram 1500? Let us know, Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 2500
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I have the a 518 transmission four-speed automatic
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

You have gas engine? 360? or cummins? thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.9 gas engine
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

The difference in an A 518 and the 95 model 46RH is a connector for the lock up torque converter. The later transmission had a lock up torque converter if it came out of a gas engine. the 91 A 518 did not have a lock up converter. You can use the later transmission as it has the same bolt pattern and output shaft, however, you will not have the lock up feature designed into that transmission. the are technically NOT the same transmission, but the 95 unit will work minus the lock up feature that is has, I suppose technically you could put a toggle switch on the dash and energize the lock up solenoid if you were going down the interstate. but you would have to turn it off before stopping or it would shut the truck off. If you look at Rockauto.com they list different units for part numbers, and this lock up torque converter vs. non lock up converter is the only difference. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My transmission has that electrical connection on the driver side so the difference in mine and the other is there to pin versus a three pin connector transmission has that electrical connection on the driver side so the difference in mine and the other mine has a two pin connector and the other is a three pin ? What about the kickdown is that the same Cable versus a rod ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my converter locks up with hydraulic not electrical
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

If you only have a 2 wire connector, you don't have a lock up converter, just an O/D solenoid. if it's a 3 wire connector, you have a lock up converter and O/D solenoid. The 2 wire connector were just for the O/D solenoid. 3 wire was for the O/D solenoid and the TCC solenoid. The heavier trucks (2500-3500) didn't lock the converter up on the earlier ones.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

I'd would put an A518 back in it if possible. but a 46RH will work, it will just have a lock up converter in it, where your electronics on board on your 91 now will not allow that converter to function as a lock up converter and I don't think that is really a good thing. But it would technically work. just not exactly the way it was designed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an overdrive button on my dash wouldn't I be able to use that on the new transmission the 46RH to activate the lock up I just need the three prong electrical connection
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

O/D button will operate the O/D solenoid, the Lock Up function is done completely internally through the ECM on the 95 model, you don't have that in your current processor that is installed in your 91, so you would either not worry about the lock up function, or have to put a toggle switch somewhere for it, which would in my opinion would cause alot of driver involvement. and if you forgot to unlock it, it would stall coming to a light, much like a manual transmission car would.