Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

Lexus GSTransmission failure the dealership is quoting 4.7K

Customer Question

Customer: Lexus GS(###) ###-####Transmission failure the dealership is quoting 4.7K
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The car wouldnt accelerate past 40 RPM was always stuck at 4500
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Lexus Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the transmission has an internal mechanical failure it will cause the issue you see here.In some cases this can be a band or clutch failure or more in depth failure that requires complete replacement.In some cases it can be rebuild for at least half the cost you were quoted to have it replaced.I show the transmission for this model from the factory at around $3030.00 and 6.6 hours labor to have replaced.Which worse case scenario around $4k for replacement.In some cases a dealer will mark up the cost of the parts which in turn can be why it is so high to have replaced.

Most of the time you can have it rebuilt or replaced by an independent transmission repair facility and they can usually get the transmission around $2k and cost up to around $2600 total for replacement.You might be able to find a used transmission cheaper around $1000 here http://www.car-part.com but then you would need to see if a transmission repair facility will install it for you.

This does sound like a transmission fault but its hard to say for sure from here if it needs replaced or rebuilt to correct this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete