sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

My name is bob. The problem I am haveing is i Rebuilt a

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** problem I am haveing is i Rebuilt a aw30-40le transmission. I put it in and it doesn't shift on its own. Shifts fine manually accept into over drive. i pulled the tranny 3 time and went back threw it everytime the same thing. It is out of a 95 mitsubishi montero rs
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The only code i get is for the output speed sensor. I replaced that but still same problem. The transmission range selector doesn't work and the od button doesn't work but that could be due to it not going into od
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mitsubishi Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it's setting a speed sensor code then that's going to be related to the shift issue. The trans is going into limp in, there may not have been an actual internal problem.

If the speed sensor has been replaced with a known good part and a code is still setting then you almost surely have a wiring or connection issue, but it could be the trans controller itself. Odds are one of the speed sensor wires is either open or has high resistance and it's preventing the trans controller from seeing a signal. The next thing I would recommend is testing the speed sensor wiring for a short to power or ground as well as load testing the circuits from the TCM to the sensor.