Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

My 99' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo reverses but won't drive,

Customer Question

My 99' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo reverses but won't drive, it has been taking a moment to engage in drive for for a little bit. I have not had the ability to have it looked at but now after reversing out of my driveway this morning it would not engage any gears going forward. I let it sit for a minute, I tried to hold the brake and rev around 1500-2000rpm's for about 30 seconds and nothing. The fluid is full and it smells good with a solid pink-esh slight red color. Can anyone help out.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 11 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

this doesnt sound good at all

sense it has no forwad gears at all and does have reverse,the problem is mechanical and not electronic

i would think the rear band in the transmission is broken,,and,it can not be fixed from the outside.

the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced

sorry.

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.