sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

My car returns itself to park when you switch gears from

Customer Question

My car returns itself to park when you switch gears from park to reverse or from park to drive.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming you have the eight speed trans with a 3.6 engine due to the symptoms. With the eight speed the shifter is simply an electronic switch that sends a signal to the transmission. The module in the shifter sends a message to the transmission control module, which is inside the transmission. A solenoid on the valve body then moves the manual valve to the desired position.

You may have an issue with the shifter itself or it could be an issue in the trans, either with t8he valve body or TCM (serviced together). In some cases a manual park release or park sprag/pawl issue can also cause issues with shifting into and out of park.

What message are you seeing on the instrumet cluster when this happens?