sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

, I'm having an issue wether it is electrical or not,

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I'm having an issue wether it is electrical or not, problem transmission . it reves up engine and won't shift, when cold, also, door locks and speedometer not working, this is a 91 dodge caravan
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dodge Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like the transmission is most likely going into limp in. If the trans controller isn't awake, it sees an issue that could cause damage or thinks it doesn't have complete control then it will lock you in second gear.

If the speedometer isn't working that's most likely related. If the TCM isn't awake then there will be no vehicle speed signal, or if the output speed sensor on the trans isn't working it will cause both limp in and lack of speedometer.

Do you have access to a scan tool that will communicate with the TCM, or have you had the codes read?