Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

I have a BMW e65 2004 When i start my car it directly goes

Customer Question

Hi i have a BMW e65 2004
When i start my car it directly goes to neutral and it drives forward on neutral
and when i put it on drive it doesn't drive forward.
And also on reverse it doesn't go backwards
i checked my valvebody, changed my trans fluid but got the same problem.
what could be the problem
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This may be a fault with the gear selection switch on the column itself.If this switch fails or acts up internally it can cause an issue like this here.Below is a picture of this switch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n3tz21a6qrz836c/gear-12-29.gif?dl=0

I would start with having the fault codes checked in all computers using a scan tool or computer that will plug into your vehicle and read all codes.Once this has been done any codes set will need to be diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay thank you,
i will check if it's the switch but i don't think so.
these are the errors
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Your welcome

Looking at the codes you have this sounds like the common fault of the anti lock brake hydraulic/control unit (DSC).If this is failing it will cause all of these codes to set and can prevent proper shifting like you have here.This can be a common failure and requires replacement when it does fail.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay so i just changed my trans oil and the old oil was totally burned it lasted only for two days because this is the second time i'm changing my trans oil.
i don't know what to do know i'm still getting the errors
tommorow i'll remove my transmission and check the drums.regards
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

One of the other common issues is a failing valve body in the transmission itself.Usually the codes point to a faulty anti lock brake unit but valve body failure is common as well.It may be a more in depth fault in the transmission as well to where it may need removed and taken apart for inspection and repair.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay thank you
i'll check tommorow
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay i just removed my transmission and my E drum out of it and i see that the friction plates are burned.
even though i changed my friction plates 5 days ago with these new ones but look at them now.
What could be the issue?Regards
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Unfortunately I am not to familiar on this transmissions internal components myself.I will have to open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist better.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Your welcome

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi i changed everything in my gearbox but i still get this error:4F88 - Ratio monitoring, gearshift 2-3
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

The only other components I can see that will cause a fault like this here is a computer fault that controls the transmission needing replaced or with the previous codes the the anti lock hydraulic/electronic control unit (DSC) itself.Since you have codes for the DSC I would start with this.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
could it be the valvebody accumulators?
because mine are burned
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

That is tough to say for sure from here,it may be if they appear to be damaged or burned.

Thanks Pete