sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

2000 Nissan Sentra automatic 1.8 ltr, So I have a p0732 code

Customer Question

2000 Nissan Sentra automatic 1.8 ltr, So I have a p0732 code for second gear. It is not down shifting from third to second and does not shift from second down to first when you mash down on the pedal. I replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and have tried the reprogram/reset of it ( turned ignitionon for 3 seconds, hit the pedal 5 times with in 5 seconds, let off for 7 and then hold for another 20 seconds) and done it 20 times already. From what I gather it could be and or is the root cause of the p0732 code. A family member purchased off craigslist(lemon) and so we dont know any further history for the car. So far I have replaced the transmission position sensor as well the Throttle Position Sensor and the Valve pack on the transmission valve body. We are still getting a check engine code for the 2nd gear. Could it still be the Throttle Position Sensor? Please help
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P0732 is for a gear ratio error in second gear and this setting is going to put the trans in limp in, which is why you don't feel it up or downshifting.

A gear ratio error code sets because the input and output speed for a given gear aren't correct. It could be a speed sensor issue or the trans slipping. If it consistently sets only a P0732 and no others then you should be able to rule out a peed sensor issue, but a scan tool would be needed to monitor data and know for sure.

If it's only setting a gear ratio error in second then it's most likely slipping or freewheeling at the 1-2 shift, which indicates internal failure.

Has the fluid level and condition been checked?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I done the fluids twice and even put in a Lucas oil conditioner

What was the condition of the fluid when it was drained?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Bright red as the same when I put it in.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Could it be the transmission valve body?

Its possible that you could have a sticking shift valve but it could be clutch or geartrain failure. Do yo u have a scan tool to monitor the speed sensors?

No other gear ratio error codes set?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It used to have 3rd gear issue but that cleared up after a fluid change and gear selection position sensor change, only the second gear code left that still comes up. I do have a scanner tool but I don't know if it can read speed sensors. Another transmission shop still thinks it is the throttle position sensor.

It definitely isn't the TPS, its an internal failure in the trans. The TPS can't cause internal slippage or an issue related to one shift point. If you can monitor the speed sensors you rule out a speed sensor issue before going into the trans. If the problem is internal then you can try having the valve body gone through or replaced, but it's most likely a clutch or geartrain issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so... I replaced the transmission with one from a junk yard with a warranty, but I'm throwing the same code p0732, different transmission?

Did you look at speed sensor signals with a scan tool?

What was the condition of the fluid on this trans when drained?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No did not any recommendations on a type is scantoolt

Do you have a laptop?

What price range would you be looking to stay in?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I currently have a creadit Crp129

You have at least some trans data available then. Are you able to see speed sensor inputs?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What's the output range I'm looking for on the speed sensor, in voltage or ohms?

With a scan tool? You'd be looking at RPM.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The scantily is a creadit crp129.

I did note that in your previous reply.