Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I have a 2006 Jetta. TDI automatic transmission. I stop and

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Jetta. TDI automatic transmission.
I stop and went into the store and when I stopped
I was in a hurry and shut car off in gear and then put it in park and went inside.
When I came back out and tried to start the car it would not start and the gear indicator on the dashboard is flashing on and off. I tried disconnecting the battery for a time and then re-hooking it back up to see if it would reset. But it still does the same thing when you hook the battery connection back the indicator light still flashes and when you turn the ignition key it does not turn over.
Like the car gear shifter is in a gear and not allowing the starter to turn the engine over until you put it in park or neutral.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer .
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

On your vehicle, was the check engine light on before this event occurred?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The yellow check engine light came on the day before. As I was having problems with the car not running correctly due to a problem with the exhaust system is what it says in the manual when the yellow light comes on. A year or so back I had problems and had a new pipe on the back of the engine replaced EGR or something like that I believe is what he said it is. Then I had to have a high-pressure fuel pump put on the car. Car has 300,080 miles on it but the mechanics that I spoke with said these cars were run a long time past that as long as they are maintained. Car is in very good condition that's why I am trying to fix it rather then get a new car payment.But if it's going to cost a bunch more money to get it fixed then I'm going to decide whether to put more money into it or just go on and get a Nother car.I did get a chance to speak with a VW mechanic yesterday and he said it could be a relay but I'd have to bring it to the shop which is an open until Monday.

Usually when you have the flagging gear indicator lights on it is a serious safety issue and hence the no start. It can be various of things. Let's try this to see if we can get this going. Under the drivers side dash is a control modules with some relays. Swap the 460 relays from side to side key off and then see if the car will start.

Let me know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I took a couple screws out of the cover panels under the steering wheel I can see the relays there what is the secret to getting those panels off without breaking them

Look at the module sides there is 2 tangs one on each side to unhook the module and pull down

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm trying to get the dress up cover panel off to get to The relay module. They are plastic and I'm trying not to break them they go up around the light switch.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK I understand about the clips to release the block that those relays are plugged inI have the block loose but now I can't get it down far enough still to get to change 460. Relays because it's slides into the ears in the back I can't get it to slide Out forward to lower down.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what do you have to do to pull those 460 relays out I see there r little clips. On the sides. How do u release them. I am old Chevy mechanic I don't mean to sound stupid I don't know anything about these new cars or how to work on them.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have common sense as well. But it's 17° out and I'm freezing to death trying to do this.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
By the way Merry Christmas

Swap the relays from side to side