Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair
24034660

I have a 99 lexus es300 auto trans and when cold it doesn't

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 99 lexus es300 auto trans and when cold it doesn't want to go into overdrive (4th). When warm it is more consistent in going into 4th. the trans has 100,000 on it. what is the problem?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the rpms go up to 3000 at 60 mph and it is still in 3rd and remains in 3rd. Oftentimes, 20 minutes into the trip and the engine becomes warm--then it shifts into 4th on a regular basis
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Lexus Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 11 months ago.

Hello: what you are experencing is an open thermostat or a bad coolant sensor(for the transmission, located at the rear of engine), See these were designed to keep the transmissions from going into over-drive untill the computer sees normal operating temps, (to keep the over drive clutches from failing,) When you first start the car it should only take about 5to 10 mins, for it to reach normal temp on your gauge, If it is taking loner then that, Replace the thermostat!, If this is reading normal, and still have no over-drive then replace the transmission coolant sensor at rear of engine! Thanks, ***** ***** Very Merry Christmas!

Please let me know if I can be of any other help with this issue!