sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

1996 dodge B2500 318 OD auto. When shifting from OD going up

Customer Question

1996 dodge B2500 318 OD auto. When shifting from OD going up a hill, goes to second rather than shifting back to 3rd first. Any suggestions?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What you're experiencing may or may not be a problem. Downshift timing and what gear it downshifts to depends on vehicle speed, engine load and throttle angle. It's perfectly normal under the right conditions to downshift directly second, a 4-2 forced downshift is more likely to happen than a 4-3 but it depends on conditions.

How long have you had the van?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
95-100 percent of downshifts go 4-2. has push button OD. I can manually shift to 3 and works fine.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
are the shifts based on vacuum? on long grades heater diverts to defroster.

Downshift timing is based on engine load, vehicle speed and throttle angle.

How long have you had he van?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2 yrs drove 12000 miles
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
are there any things I should check? the downshift seems to delay until it has to drop to second. does this trans still work on a kick down cable? if so how do I check to see if it is adjusted correctly?

When did you notice it behaving this way?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
since I bought it used? is there anything I should check? please answer the questions from last time.

I was trying to determine if there really was a problem and if there is anything that really needs to be checked. What you're describing is normal and if it has been shifting this way the whole time you have owned it I don't have a reason to believe it's shifting abnormally. You can check throttle valve cable adjustment and check the TPS signal with a scan tool, but I don't know that it's shifting incorrectly.

With the throttle valve cable removed from the arm on the throttle body it should be 1-2mm past the stud when extended by hand but if you don't have upshift timing problems then changing cable adjustment is going to affect upshifts. If the cable was adjusted too short then it would upshift late.