Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

1997 S320 sedan. Transmission was shifting sluggishly until

Customer Question

1997 S320 sedan. Transmission was shifting sluggishly until I had driven for a mile or so then no problems. Check engine light would go on occasionally but would go out on its own and never checked out indicating a problem by my mechanic.
Yesterday, I drove to the store, a couple miles, after not driving for a few days, the transmission shifted fine on the way there.
When I came out, the battery light was on and the car started easily, went into reverse and forward when placed in drive but would not shift out of first gear.
At the same time, the radio stopped working when the engine is running. The radio works when the ignition is turned to the 2nd position but the car engine is not starting.
The belts were replaced about 15,000 miles ago. I checked fuses and ground connections first. The battery is 3 years old on a 7 year battery.
To summarize:
Battery light is on
check engine light is on
transmission will not shift out of first gear
radio will only work when key is in 2nd position but not when the engine is working.
The above issues started all at the same time.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  tsmodie replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** the battery light being on, it is most likely a bad alternator, and this will also cause a low voltage situation, and the other problems, including the shifting, it is east to check, if you have a volt meter, do you have one?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't but can get one. Where would I take the measurements? Would this affect the radio not working when the engine is running but not when the engine is off? All the lights, heater, seat heaters, wipers, etc. work no mater what.
Expert:  tsmodie replied 11 months ago.

yes, a low voltage can effect all of this, we need to check th battery voltage with the key off, should be around 12 volts, then start it and see if the battery voltage goes up to about 14.5 volts, can you do this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll do this. and get back to you. It may take me a few hours to get a voltage meter and check it. Thanks.
Expert:  tsmodie replied 11 months ago.

No worries, I will be on all day,Tim

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks,
Tom
Expert:  tsmodie replied 11 months ago.

you bet, let me know,Tim

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Tim,
I checked the voltage with the car off. It was 12 .1 volts. it went up to 14.5 with the engine running. I was hoping that was it, even though it would take me all day to find the alternator. My AMC Hornet is a lot easier to work on.. Any more ideas?
Expert:  tsmodie replied 11 months ago.

have you had codes read from the computer yet?