Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

I have a non world class t5. I cant get it to shift from 1st

Customer Question

I have a non world class t5. I cant get it to shift from 1st to second while the truck is moving. All other gears are fine. Also while trying to shift between 1st and 2nd the back wheel will lock up
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

This sounds like the synchro hub between 1st and 2nd is broken or otherwise faulty

I'd say that the next step is to drop the transmisson and remove the transmisson lid

1st gear input shaft is easily remove by removing the iron front bearing housing and then withdrawing the shaft so you can inspect the state of teh synchro teeth and bearing under the hub

if these look OK then the mainshaft will have to come out as the next step

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is that the brass ring behind the input shaft?
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

yes thats part of it

the brass ring is the synchro cone / rin which is the consumable part of the synchro hub

it might be helpful to familarise yourself with the manual which can downloaded here

http://www.tremec.com/anexos/TRSM-T5-0510-R1_173.pdf