sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

My 2005 C240 4matic is not shifting into gher gears upon

Customer Question

My 2005 C240 4matic is not shifting into higher gears upon starting and won't manually shift either. Then I stop and turn it off and then it shifts automatically. I just had the transmission speed sensor changed out. Then it did the same thing again. What's the problem?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The trans is in limp in. If the trans controller sees an issue that will prevent proper operation or it isn't awake then you'll be locked in a single gear.

There are many possible causes of limp in ranging from the input speed sensors, solenoids, internal trans issues, wiring, the trans controller, electronic shifter module, and a lack of wheel speed message from the ABS module will also prevent shifting.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes are setting in the TCM, or to see if the TCM is not awake at the time the problem is happening.