sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

Hambleton. MY 2008 Aspen will shift itself into Tow Mode and

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Hambleton. MY 2008 Aspen will shift itself into Tow Mode and won't shift back to OD. I have to pull over, shut down, and start back up to get it back to OD.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure what you need. 2008 Aspen limited 5.7. Driving along on the freeway, slow for traffic, start to accelerate and the trans is in Tow Mode. 3000 RPM for 65mph. have to pull over, turn off the engine, wait for a couple them start back up to get OD.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Transmissions Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: All good if you can get me a fix. Truck is WAAYYY out of warranty, so I'll need to do repairs myself.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm quite sure that the trans is going into limp in. When the trans controller sees an issue it thinks can cause damage or it doesn't have complete control it will lock you in either third and fourth or just fourth gear.

There are many possible causes for limp in ranging from speed sensors, the range sensor, solenoids and pressure switches, wiring, the trans controller itself, or a loss of power to the trans. The most common cause of limp in on this trans is the solenoid pack mounted on top of the valve body.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting.

Expert:  ebrock63 replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, to start with, I need to know the year and model of your Acura, as well as the last 8 numbers of the vin

Please disregard the last post, I'm uncertain why someone else posted to this question page about another vehicle.