AMEDEE
AMEDEE, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE TECH WITH ADVANCED LEVEL CERTIFICATION/L1 CERTIFICATION
279429

Boyden 1993 GMC Van Trouble Shifting out of Park
, I

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Boyden 1993 GMC Van Trouble Shifting out of Park
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just bought a used van and most of the time I have to turn key slightly to release and start in Neutral
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Chevy Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: $18 is OK and I can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. I am going to need to start by getting your VIN so I can pull your vehicle up and get you the correct information. Also, this issue you are having may be a bit more involved and it might be eaiser if we speak over the phone. We will be able to cover more ground and in greater detail that way. However, phone calls are extra. I can send a phone call request over from my end or you can request a phone call on your end. If you don't feel comfortable speaking on the phone we can always continue on this page. I will be looking forward to your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1GDEG25K6PF508127 We started at $18, I just saw $28
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Amedee, I had a customer, what is the answer?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! I was off line for a bit. Give me a minute while I pull up your vehicle..

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me if the brake lights work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, good.. this means the brake switch is working. I would then suspect a bad shift interlock solenoid.. which is very common. It could be an issue with the ignition switch as well so your going to want to check that just to be sure. You can check for power and ground at the shift interlock solenoid when this happens to see if it is getting a signal. If not, then I would go after the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK where is the shift interlock solenoid?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

On the steering column.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Ill go look
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm at work and the lower cover under the steering column must be removed. I continue after work
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

sounds good

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome