Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

2002 VW Eurovan Westfalia Weekender Vin.#wv2nb47012h075616

Customer Question

2002 VW Eurovan Westfalia Weekender Vin.#wv2nb47012h075616 125,000 miles, babied and regularly serviced. My tranny originally blew a bearing at 86,000. Luckily I had a warranty which provided a used replacement that had around 50,000 on it from a wrecked
'03 Eurovan. I've put around 50,000 miles on the replacement which puts it at about 100,000 miles. I'm aware that the trannys on these vans are tricky. I've done my homework, as I've had three of these vans in the last 10 years. Never had an issue with an
'03. I've read up on the Go Westy site and their recommendation to always replace the Transmission Control Module before doing anything else when you're experiencing shifting issues. The module on this van (if it's the one located in the cab and not an actual
part of the tranny inside) has not been replaced. So, it stands to reason that it, too has 125,000 miles on it. Go Westy had urged me to replace it when I installed the warrantied that had 50,000 on it, but I didn't. Here are the symptoms I'm experiencing:
If I do a "soft start" from a dead stop and ease into driving through the gears everything shifts normally. Just the same, everything shifts normally if I do a "hard start" from a dead stop, as well, if I give it a lot of gas. But, when I give medium gas from
a dead stop, when it shifts from 1st to 2nd there is either a very rough shift (that did not happen previously), or what I can describe as a "gurgled" shift from 1st to 2nd. It doesn't feel like a slip. All other automatic shifting seems normal. As I told
my mechanic, I can control whether it shifts normally or not with my awareness of how much gas I use on the pedal to make it so it shifts normally, but I don't want to cause more damage. As I said, Go Westy suggests changing the Control Module immediately
when tranny issues occur, before doing anything else. The dealer has one for around $900 and if I eventually have to replace the tranny it is strongly advised that the TCM be replaced in any case. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter, if you have insight
into the trannys on these vehicles??? They are very specialized so I don't want to assume that there are many experts out there on this. Thanks much! John
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

What can occur in some cases is failing transmission components can cause shorts in the transmission control unit or weaken the circuits in the transmission control module this is why it is best to replace the control module when the transmission is replaced.

With what you have described with what is occuring here this sounds like a fault with a component in the transmission like the valve body itself or a pressure control/regulating solenoid issue.

These will have to be checked/tested to locate which is the cause and from there repaired to correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete