Richard, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic and transmission expert.
10437779

I had a bad engine, so I swapped a good motor w/ the

Customer Question

I had a bad engine, so I swapped a good motor w/ the transmission still attached...I know the transmission is good because I drove the wrecked donor car onto the hauling truck....The engine is running great but the transmission linkage must need adjustment because in every gear (especially Reverse) it barely moves the car...Is there an adjustment somewhere that I need to do?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gm Tech Cam replied 12 months ago.

HI there, I am Cam. I may be able to help you, but I need to know what your vehicle is.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
1999 Jaguar XK8

Understood. I wont be able to help you, but I will transfer you to the group that can now that your year make and model are known. Please stand by. There is no need to reply to me, someone should be along shortly.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am familiar where the linkage is bolted on the driver side & also the splined piece on the passenger side, too...
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

Is the gearbox fault warning on? Did you drain the fluid or lose a lot of fluid during replacement? Does the shifter light up all the gears? Does it move on the manual of the shifter?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sometimes the gearbox fault light comes on & sometimes not...It does better on the manual gate side...If I put the shift lever partly between P & R then Reverse goes good...
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
All the Gear Lights come on except R....If I screw w/ the shifter long enough I can get the R light to come on (but that is when it is partly between P & R....
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

OK it could be the cable adjustment especially if it is not illuminating all the gears and the manual side work. We need to check that first. Also please make sure the fluid is full. Since there is no dipstick this is not easily done. We need to remove the fill plug with the fluid warmed to temp, engine running and vehicle on a level surface or lift. I'd fluid flows out it is full. Let me know.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok, I will check the fluid level....I have a Jaguar Manual that shows where it is...How can I get you back after I do this?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
What about the little splined shaft on the passenger side.....Could that have anything to do w/ it?
Expert:  Richard replied 12 months ago.

On the splined shift there should be the rotor switch. That could also be the problem. We should also check to see if we can get the stored fault codes. Just reply back to this post like you have been doing. It will stay open.