Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Diagnostic Technician
21364095

I'm having a little trouble with my 98 eclipse spyder 2.4

Customer Question

I'm having a little trouble with my 98 eclipse spyder 2.4 transmission
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I bought it, it was working fine after a month , when I would be at a stop and give it gas to go it would slip and then catch again and it would always do it only in 1st gear but if I'm giving it more gas sometimes it wouldn't do it..also if I give it slight gas it would start jerking pretty hard and then giving it more gas it would go away and then at times if I'm on the freeway it won't go past 3rd gear unless I rev it really high around 4300 rpm then it would shift and sometimes would lockdown a gear
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It would kick down a gear*
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I changed the transmission fluid and filter and topped it off and only seemed to work for a couple days and then it started all over again
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Doug replied 11 months ago.

These all sound like solid indications of a line pressure issue. From the slipping from take off, the jerkiness and to the inability to get it to go into over drive unless it is revved very high, these are all typical behavior of the line pressure being low. Worn friction material will cause the same behavior (as it requires more pressure than normal to clamp), however it is rare to affect multiple gears whereas line pressure more often does affect multiple gears.

Since you have already replaced the external filter and changed the fluid, the next stop from here is going to be getting line pressures tested to see what is going on internally.

If you have low pressure across the board then you would know you have a pump issue or clogged internal filter (There are two filters on this transmission, only one is self-serviceable though. If you had good supply pressure but weak pressure on all sub circuits we would suspect a valve body/regulator valve issue. If only certain circuits were low we would suspect a valve body or o-ring issue inside the transmission.

If all pressures are top notch, then we would only expect worn friction materials. Again this is unlikely with the condition affecting multiple gears, however if the lines pressures check out OK and you are still getting these slip-type symptoms that would be the only expectation.