hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 Years Automotive experience,ASE Master & L1 certified. Ford certified trans rebuilder
285738

I have a 2002 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition and when

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition and when I'm going down a hill it's like it kicks its self into Neutral. I have to stop in the side of the road and put it 4 low and then back into all wheel drive for it to go again.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Hello, it only has an issue in 4x4 going down a hill? No codes are stored in the 4x4 module? It engages into low no problem and no noises?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's kicked into Neutral 4 times now in the last two days. And everytime is when going down hill I will let off the gas and go down the hill and when I push back in the gas nothing. It doesn't make any noises. I have to shut it off and put it in park if I try to put it in park it will grind. But if I shut it off put it in park then put it in 4low and start back then put it back in auto it starts working again.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Ok does it say on the dash its still in 4x4 high? Have you had a diagnostic test run on the 4x4 system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it doesn't say anything on the dash. And I haven't had anything do to the 4x4 system.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Ok so the 4x4 high light does work when you have it 4x4 high?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the light does come on everytime in high. But only half the time in low.
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Ok either a shift fork is causing the transfer case to pop out of gear, he inserts on the shif fork wear out over time since they are made out of plasic or the 4x4 control module is commanding it off. Need to run a diagnostic check for codes on the 4x4 module to see if any codes are stored and if not, go into the ransfer case to repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check the 4x4 module.
Expert:  hdgene replied 12 months ago.

You cant do it on your own unless you have a higher end scan tool capable of communicating with the 4x4 control module(GEM Module). There is no way to jump anything to pull codes.

Expert:  hdgene replied 12 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?