rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I get this error on my bmw e65 730i 2004: "Positions P,

Customer Question

Hi i get this error on my bmw e65 730i 2004 : "Positions P, R, N, D possible. Forward travel only in 3rd/5th gear. Selecting gear without brake possible"
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you just type the answers you dont need to call.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

From your description, it sounds like the gear selector switch is bad or has a bad connection. Also check the connector for corrosion in the connectors.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you i will give you a rating if you help me
Okay the thing is when i drive slow
the car drives perfect but if i want to Press and HOLD the GAS PEDAL all the way to the force down to drive then you suddenly get this error.
And when you turn the car off and on again it drives perfect again.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

I would testimate all the sensors with a scan tool to what their values are. The gear selector switch also seems like very odd behavior.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the wheel speed sensors?
already did that they are working perfect.Thanks
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

All input sensors, not just wheel speed. These results are vital at this point.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which sensors precisely?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

All sensors, they all play a part. I done just select certain ones I look at them all to see if they make sense.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know any good scanning and coding programs i can use to do it?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Laptop compatible useage is Autoenginuity.

Hand held would be Snap On or comparable.

Thanks And please don't forget to rate me and keep our link in case you need me later on too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank youI dont think its a sensor problem because
When i ride my car and i press on the gas peddel to go fast i hear a hard knocking sound under my car in the middle i think in the transmission.Best regards
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Thanksfor your question