Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I have a 1999 Chrysler 300m as I drive down the road the

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Chrysler 300m as I drive down the road the trans will some times not go in gear .sometime I go to take off and the trans will move like a turtle .than sometime it will drive fine what is may this be.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris and independent contractor that helps customers here.

Any warning lights on or flashing?

Any concerns with the trans oil level, color, or odor?

Are you saying while driving it will not up shift or goes to neutral?

When stopped then accelerating, does it feel like it is in the wrong gear?

Thanks for letting me assist you. I hope I met all your expectations.

Please make sure to complete the required rating when ready so I am compensated by the website from the site and question fees you have already been charged. If your not able to rate my response, let me know why, so I can help more, and stay in contact with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
check engine light will come o than .go out. trans oil good .no odor .good color right level. when starting out in drive sometime will not go into 2 or 3 gear . than sometime I drive ok .When stopped then accelerating, Yes it does feel like it is in the wrong gear

Thanks, ***** ***** you have not had it scanned to see which codes are stored. The symptoms are pointing to the valve body needing to be removed and overhauled. The fact that it is intermittent and possibly taking off in a higher gear than 1st indicates it is likely sticking valves or damaged springs in the valve bores.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I have not had it scanned.removed and overhauled is rebuilding the tranny .? if I got one from the junk yard will the same year work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car has california emissions I was told .or what years will work

If you choose to swap the transmission without diagnosing and repairing yours, yes the same year model transmission is compatible and can be installed without any programming required.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the valve body a simple part that I can remove and replace .or is this major overhaul .do you have a how to link to replace this part for this car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey also if I disconnect the battery hot cable it drives ok again maybe it just me

The valve body is accessed by removing the transmission pan. If you have never done transmission repairs I would not suggest you try this on your car. If you mess up you could ruin the transmission.

Sorry you were not pleased.