Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

I have a 2003 A6 Quattro and I am unable to shift it into

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2003 A6 Quattro and I am unable to shift it into gear. The light with the foot that is located to the left of the shifter stays illuminated even when I step on the brake. I've been reading other threads and a question that comes up more than once is if the inside of the car has been wet. My answer to that would be, yes. Passenger side was flooded when the air conditioning evaporator hose was clogged and the driver side was flooded when a friend of mine spilled an entire 42 ounce iced tea onto the floorboard. What if anything could this have caused? I am about ready to drive this car off of a cliff!
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'd be happy to help! First, have you checked to see if the brake lights are coming on when you press the brake pedal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Let me go check that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they come on.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Ok so we know that the brake light switch does work, so the transmission control module should be receiving that signal. The TCM is located in the passenger floor board, so it's possible the evaporator drain hose clogging could have caused water damage to the tcm. You'll have to get to it and check for signs of water damage. I cannot retrieve the procedure for getting to it however, so I'll open it up for another technician that can give you more insight. Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

In order to get to your TCM, you need to pull off the mouldings around the passenger floor carpet and lift the carpet up. There is a small plate there and under that plate is the TCM. I would check and see if it is wet. If it is drying it and spraying with WD 40 is about all you can do to try and help it. Also clean any corrosion you find in the pins. If that won't get it working, you may need a new TCM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. We were actually able to get to the TCM and it was wet and there was some corrosion on some of the pins. What would you suggest we use to clean them off? I don't want to use anything that may damage it further if cleaning it could possibly do the trick.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Go to the auto parts store and get Electric Terminal cleaner, it comes in a spray can. And you can also use WD 40 on it, although it may not clean it well, it will help dry it out.