Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan and Infiniti Trained Expert
10181755

I have a 2006 Nissan frontier with a 2.5 in park it runs

Customer Question

Hi I'm Frank I have a 2006 Nissan frontier with a 2.5 in park it runs like a top ...in first and second it does ok but has no power and third it just fall on its face ...any ideas
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello Frank, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Do you have a service engine soon light on when the truck is running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a generic code reading random misfire that's the only stored code
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a miss but after new plugs intake gaskets and 1 new injector and all o rings the miss is gone but the no power problem is alive and well !! I also replace the pcv valve and put a new clutch fan on it
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

So you resolved your issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not at all I can't go over 40 mph and have no horse power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The above is everything I've done but the power issue remains if it were that simple I wouldn't have wasted ur time or my money for this service
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok.. Do you have any current codes? Also do you have access to a scanner to monitor fuel trim readings?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

When you had the intake off, did you check your power valves to see if all screws and plates were present?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only code was random misfire. ..I believe my scanner will read fuel....in park it runs perfect full range of pedal no miss runs great problem occurs as soon as you put it in gear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also the problem occured out of the blue ....but once it did it has remained
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you happen to check the power valves in the intake?

Also if you can read fuel trim, can you get me the short term readings at idle after warmed up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are u still working on it ?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am waiting for you to tell me if you checked the power valves in the intake and if you can monitor the fuel trim readings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok give me a bit I'll be right back with ya
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I will be stepping away for a few. Just give me your results and I will reply back as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting on the truck....is the mas air flow a possibility
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Is could be. I have a test we can do if you can monitor fuel trim which could help determine if the MAF sensor is a issue.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It could be a clogged catt also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The intake is a complete assembly that bolts straight to the head....there were no plates or screws visible. ....even replaced the valve cover gasket but the plug port o rings are not available or required on this engine. ...again nothin special just dual ohc....
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you know where the power valves are located?

Also, are we able to monitor the fuel trim?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Jay im gonna have the truck in about an hr or so and I can hook it up I hope ur gonna be around
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also power vallves where are they pls
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am currently working today.. I will try to jump online as soon as I can.

The power valves are the plates between the intake. I have seen screws that hold the plates fall out and the plate shifts or comes off causing misfire and running issues

You also want to check the Catt Converter to see if it's clogged up also.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if we are talking bout the same engine ....2.5 lt straight 4 cyld....the intake itself is one piece no plates or screws and it bolts straight to the head there are no plates or screws either just the head.....only 120k u think a cat would fail that soon ? Although that would explain no power
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I know exactly what engine. The upper part of the intake separates from the bottom

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wouldn't there b an smell with a plugged cat
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

No, if the exhaust is clogged up it won't allow exhaust to flow out properly and it will kill the engine power. Meaning it would only be able to accelerate so much cause of the excessive pressure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Jay im baaack lol ....excessive heat would go along with a clogged cat as well correct ? If that intake seperates I sure didn't see how unless it just snaps together and I sure didn't want to break it .....now as its been a few days the engine is still running great but power loss has increased im thinking that cat is toast.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Jay I have a new code PO420 generic, catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only stored code I cleared the rest but there were only 2 ...... 1 was misfire on #2 and the other was random misfire now this new code PO420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I fixed it !!!!!!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the late reply. My boss had this idea for us to work today.

What did you find?