FSM09
FSM09, Other
Experience:  Ford Senior Master, specialty in diesels, drive trains, and powertrain.
74859263

My drive shaft from front transfer case is spinning in

Customer Question

my drive shaft from front transfer case is spinning in 2wd,,, I replaced a 4wheel drive actuator hub,, (was cracked),, updated hub solenoid on firewall, clean vacuum lines, all check valves also
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, if you try and spin the driveshaft by hand does it spin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
right now, front end is in air, in 2wd, truck on,,, I can spin both tires by turning front drive shaft
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.

Is the vehicle running when you do this? If the vehicle isn't running the front hubs will automatically engage and spin the driveshaft.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not paying extra for a phone call,,, I am pretty decent around ford truck, currently owned 11 trucks, this is my first iwe system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the truck is on,,, front end in air,, again I can spin tires with turning drive shaft in 2wd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anybody home????
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.

When the vehicle is running with the front tires on the air. Does each front wheel spin freely?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.

If each wheel is spinning freely with the vehicle running, but turning the driveshaft also turns the tires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
half shaft also
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.

The half shafts should spin with the driveshaft. If the vehicle is running and both front wheels are disengaged from the half shaft while spinning. There is no way for the driveshaft to turn the wheels. This is how the system is designed. So if the engine is running and the front driveshaft still turns the wheels you have a large vacuum leak.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
anybody home?????
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.

do you not see my last response

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did,,, and yes turning drive shaft is turning wheels in 2wd
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.

with the engine running? If that is the case you are losing vacuum to the wheel ends and they are staying engaged. If you replaced the solenoid and check valve you might have a bad vacuum line or you could have bad wheel ends at the hub?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
replaced solenoid, all new check valves, I have 100% vacuum going to solenoid and changes driverside actuator,,, and also blew out entire system with compressed air
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just no vacuum,, to hubs really
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.

If you disconnect a vacuum lin at the hub while the vehicle is running do you feel vacuum coming out of the line?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.

If you arne't feeling any vacuum then that is going to be your issue. you need to find out why the solenoid isn't allowing vacuum to go to the hubs. If you used compressed air the line could have seperated at a splice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have traced all the lines and found no damage or separation.
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.

You are losing vacuum at some point. There is nothing else it can be is you have no vacuum to the hubs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this process a 28 dollars, one time fee, or is it a 28 dollar monthly fee
Expert:  FSM09 replied 1 year ago.

As far as I know it is a one time fee unless you sign up for a subscription. I work independently from my house in my free time to assist people. I don't get paid unless I receive a positive rating from the customer. The question does remain open if you have to go and look at the vehicle for a while though.