Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

I have a 2012 dodge ram 1500 stuck in 4th. Won't manually

Customer Question

I have a 2012 dodge ram 1500 stuck in 4th. Won't manually shift out. It started after I climbed a steep hill in 4x4 about 100 feet. After it cools, I can manually put it in 1st, but if I stop it defaults to 4th.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have 24 hours.... you said someone was immediately available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris and independent contractor that helps customers here.

Are there warning lights or messages on?

Any codes stored?

Any concerns with the fluid?

Where you in 4 high or low, and were you taking it easy, or pushing it hard, were you in drive or locked into manual 1st on this hill climb?

Thanks for letting me assist you. I hope I met all your expectations.

Please make sure to complete the required rating when ready so I am compensated by the website from the site and question fees you have already been charged. If your not able to rate my response, let me know why, so I can help more, and stay in contact with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I climbed a hill about 100 feet and gunned it. When I got to the flat, the check engine light came on and it went to 4th.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can not access stored codes because I do not have it in a shop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fluids are fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was not locked in manual first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today it is working fine, though the check engine light is still on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was in 4 high. I was in drive.

Thanks, ***** ***** the vehicle turn on the check engine light for the transmission or transfer case, they have there own warning lights. Since it is operating fine now. We will not be able to diagnose by symptoms. Anyway you can get it to a parts store for a free scan then report back with the codes?

My thoughts on what happened was a possible issue with the throttle body or a solenoid in the transmission moved fast and aggressive and got stuck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had it checked out. Code said the transmission fluid pressure was low.. ... checked transmission fluid and it is fine. Cleared computer, no engine light has come on.

The post says you requested the post to be closed. So I assume your all good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am good for now... I am home and out of the hills... No fault of yours, but the service advertised immediate help and so I paid to have immediate help, but then they promised within 24 hours, time which I did not have.... I needed advice so I could get it off the mountain or someone to help me problem solve remotely... they advertised like they had someone to live chat with, but obviously, they did not..

Glad you got it resolved