Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer BEng Hons22 years experience in car engine industry, 10 years in formula 1
12772297

My car is ssangyong rexton 2.7 2005. The problem is shifting

Customer Question

Hi my car is ssangyong rexton 2.7 2005. The problem is shifting betwen 4wd high
and 4wd low.The situation now is stock in 4wd high 4wd check light always on and when i try to shift to low the 4wd low light blinkes and nothing happens thankes
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

if you have a flashing selection light then this means there's a logged fault with the unit

I'd suggest the next thing to do is to get a dealer level diagnostic tool plugged into the car and pull off the fault code as this will greatly speed up the repair as its will point to the fault

I would also check the basics, take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black thenits needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with thegearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - theywill advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connectorin turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox isin good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you shouldtop up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok -then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside-- refill and retry it.

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.