Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango with a 242D transfer case that

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango with a 242D transfer case that is no good. Will a 231D HD from a 1999 Dodge Durango be an acceptable replacement?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me look into this and see. I should be able to have an answer for you within the next half hour.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, just checked this out and it will work. The difference is that the 242 has the "full time AWD" option whereas the 231 is either part time 4WD or 2WD. So you will loose the full time AWD but the mounting, linkage, etc is the same. I hope this is the information you were looking for and please let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how would I be able to shift the transmission into 4wd? or into 2wd for that matter, if my shifter doesn't match up?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

You could change the bezel that the shift lever goes through. Then the indicator for 4wd and 2wd will be correct.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

When you get the transfer case from the 1999 Durango, get the transfer case lever bezel at the same time.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Duh! I'm buying the whole durango so that is doable! I just wanted to be sure the parts would interchange before I bought it. Thanks!
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Gotcha! Then you will have everything you need to do the swap. You are welcome, and I hope that I have been helpful!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Oh, and would you do me a huge favor and rate my service tonight? I would really appreciate it. If you need further assistance, I will continue to help you out even after you rate me.

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still have more questions? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, just wondering if you were happy with my service yesterday. I see that you have not rated me yet an am just curious as to why. If you were not happy, please let me know what it was and then hopefully I can not make that mistake in the future. Please let me know when you get a chance.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris