hdgene
hdgene, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 Years Automotive experience,ASE Master & L1 certified. Ford certified trans rebuilder
285738

97 Dodge caravan... My fiance went to back up the van the

Customer Question

97 Dodge caravan... My fiance went to back up the van the other day and she said it made a noise, almost like she had hit something (which she didn't), and since, the reverse won't work on the van. All other gears change as they should, but nothing in R. No prior issues, and fluid level in fine. Tranny shot? Or is there possibly something else I can check before forking over the money for a rebuild?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  hdgene replied 1 year ago.

Hello, when you lose reverse gear this is due to a mechanical failure as the noise she heard went along with it then losing reverse gear. If all the electronics on the transmission failed, you would always have reverse gear and manual 2nd gear to limp it home. So yes, it is an internal failure of the transmission which would require removal and repair or replacement. Fluid level is good, so thats all you can really check on your end.