Pete, Automotive Mechanic
Experience:  GM and Mercedes vehicle technician.17 years experience.
14928985

My 2002 cherokee seems to be shifting while driving at 50

Customer Question

my 2002 cherokee seems to be shifting while driving at 50 -70 mph
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If your transmission feels like it is shifting when at these speeds this can be the transmission torque converter engaging and disengaging.I have seen this occur before and in some cases this is normal if throttle is applied over something like 1/4 throttle as the computer will disengage the torque converter creating this shifting feel here.In other cases if it is shifting in and out on its own this is usually the transmission torque converter lock up solenoid itself at fault needing replaced to correct this fault here.I have had to replace this solenoid before for this issue here.Usually around $200 total in parts and anywhere from 1.5 hours labor to over 4 hours depending on model transmission in your vehicle.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete