Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  I have been rebuilding automatic transmissions for 25 years
14541291

1994 Ford Ranger XLT shifting issues...Can shift into

Customer Question

1994 Ford Ranger XLT shifting issues...Can shift into Reverse, but does not always move forward when shifting into Drive. Hard shifting while driving.
Category: Transmissions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This Ford Ranger has a 4.0l V6 and automatic transmission, and has occasional issues with all forward gears, (Overdrive, Drive, 2, 1).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This issue is common in cold temperatures
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

first,have you checked the fluid?

is it full?

does the fluid look good[not burnt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fluid is full for now, (I have not needed to add any since getting this vehicle - only had it since 11/10/15), but, there is an odd burning smell like tranny fluid, and the smell comes and goes during my travels while driving off the highway - I suspect the transmission modulator valve is leaking fluid back into the engine. The engine is pretty clean, runs excellent, and does not appear to be burning engine oil. The shift points on the overdrive transmission are too low, as it shifts from first to second at about 22 mph, 2nd to 3rd about 32 mph...runs great down the highway.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trans fluid looks good, no sign of burning.

hi

sorry i missed you.

here is what to try

replace the transmission fluid filter.sometimes a clogged filter will do this.

the filter is just under the fluid pan,

if the filter doesnt fix the problem,i would think the problem is internal and the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.