Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years GM master tech
19513769

2000 chevy k3500, 4wd problem, I have power on wire to 4wd

Customer Question

2000 chevy k3500, 4wd problem , I have power on brown wire to 4wd actuator, ran a jumper wire to light gray w/ black tracer which has 12 volts when in 4wd- manual shifter- new actuator installed- good ground on black wire, hook up nothing happens, touch test light to gry w/ bl wire motor runs and get a signal voltage to 4wd light, but no 4wd operation
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if you pull out the actuator and plug it in electrically truck on and shift it into 4HI will it extend out ?

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

ok if it will extend out in your hand the odds are the front axle can not lock internally into 4wd

these issue usually come down to the passenger side inner axle tip breaking or the spacer washer breaks and falls down and either physically keep the fork from moving when the actuator pushes it to lock the front axle

again the actuator is working as you can see it holding it in your hand the front axle side tube needs to come off and see if the washer broke or the axle tip causing it from physically being able to lock internally into 4wd

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here