Skyvisions
Skyvisions, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Master Diagnostic
8257649

When I let off the gas, my 95 4runner 3.0 sounds like it has

Customer Question

When I let off the gas, my 95 4runner 3.0 sounds like it has an engine brake. Is this a transmission problem?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

How many miles? Are you saying it feels the same when coasting as if you manually shifted to the 2nd position on the shifter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
198000 miles, and yes it does sound like it shifted to a lower gear. Lot of vibration. Does it have a shift solenoid?
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

Yes it does have shift solenoids but that will not cause this. Has the check engine light been on recently or do you have a code reader to see if there any codes set in the computer? How does the transmission fluid look? When you pull the dipstick out is it dark and have a burnt odor to it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine has not come on. I changed the trans fluid and filter last fall. Didn't help the problem.
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 1 year ago.

When it does not freewheel or coast and you have engine braking in overdrive for severe engine braking in third gear this is an internal failure usually with a one-way clutch. It is not a solenoid issue. Solenoids will not cause engine braking that is a strictly a hardware issue in the transmission.