rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

1991 Nissan Pathfinder. Drives fine in 1st and 2nd gear, but

Customer Question

1991 Nissan Pathfinder.
Drives fine in 1st and 2nd gear, but 3rd, 4th loses power. You can floor the accelerator and it does not accelerate and loses power. If you feather the throttle in those gears, it will slowly accelerate to red line, but push harder and it loses power. It does not let you pass another car in 3rd or 4th.
Any ideas?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

As always, checking for codes in the computer is the first thing to do. I would still check the fuel pressure to be sure it's where it needs to be. Check for any restrictions to the intake and exhaust, and if it is equipped with a MAF sensor, check it for being contaminated.

Thanks, Ron