sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

The SVC 4WD in my 06 Dakota has started coming on. The

Customer Question

The SVC 4WD in my 06 Dakota has started coming on. The electronic shift will also shift on it's own without any reason. Sometimes when I press the FOB to unlock or lock the doors. It will shift into 4WD, but no lo light will come on the dash. I came across this article about the 05 and was wondering if it applied to my 06. Thanks
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a handful of things you could have going on. It could be an instrument cluster issue but that's very unlikely. What causes this to happen is the front control module seeing an incorrect transfer case position sensor signal. If it sees the position sensor in an unintended state then it will attempt an unrequested shift.

There are a few things that could cause it to see an incorrect state. It could be the FCM itself but that wouldn't be common.

It could be a wiring issue or internal failure in the integrated power module. Either of these could affect the sensor ground, signal or reference voltage to the sensor.

The most common cause would be a failure of the position sensor itself, which is internal in the transfer case motor.