sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I have a 2002 VW Jetta. Car has 143K on it. Car runs good

Customer Question

I have a 2002 VW Jetta. Car has 143K on it. Car runs good and shifted with no problems. I was out of town for a week. Took off in the car and as soon as it shifts out of first gear it's like it goes into neutral. Any ideas?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it freewheeled and now doesn't move at all then it may be a CV shaft issue or possibly low fluid, but if first gear is always present but it freewheels when attempting to shift into second then that indicates an internal trans issue, most likely either a geartrain or clutch failure.

It does always have first gear?

Have you checked for fault codes?

Have you checked the fluid level and condition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We went to pick up the car and it shifted fine for about a mile. Then it started doing the same thing but it did shift into third. It did jump out of gear so I lifted off the gas and it went back into third so we were able to get it home. We couldn't find a dip stick to check the fluid. Is this system sealed or do we need to look harder for the dip stick? Any ideas?

What engine do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2.0 litre

There is a plug on the pan that can be removed to see if fluid drips from the standpipe in the pan but a scan tool needs to be used to check fluid temperature while checking trans fluid level.

Have you checked for fault codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, we'll check that tomorrow morning and get back to you. THanks

You're welcome !