sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans Specialist
9825021

I just brought a 2001BMW 740il first time driving it won't

Customer Question

I just brought a 2001BMW 740il first time driving it won't shift to third, what is my problem?
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that could preventing it from shifting. It's possible that there is a mechanical issue in the trans but the problem may also be electrical. If the trans controller sees an issue that could cause damage or it thinks it doesn't have complete control it can prevent shifting. You may have a solenoid or speed sensor issue, it could be wiring or even the TCM itself.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to see what fault codes are setting in the TCM. If it's purposely preventing shifting then it will have set a code, or if it attempted a shift and slipped or freewheeled it would also have set a code.