Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 yrs. experience with auto, manual, & CVT drivelines
2499435

Have a 2009 Tundra. First thing in morning it sometimes

Customer Question

Have a 2009 Tundra. First thing in morning it sometimes slips if you put in gear right away. Can wait a few seconds and no problem. This problem just started - has 108,000 miles. Has been a great truck.
Category: Transmissions
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

The first thing to do would be the check the transmission fluid level. If it's low enough it will slip until the transmission fluid warms up a little.

If the fluid is normal, then there could be internal wear in the transmission that might require a rebuild, or in some cases a band adjustment. Is your truck*****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My truck is 4x2 and has a sealed trans with no dipstick. Only takes 5-10 seconds of idling and everything is okay. I now let it idle for a few seconds and okay.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

There isn't a dipstick, but there is still a method for checking the level. Here is the diagram that shows how. It's unlikely that it would be low without some kind of fluid leak, but then again I have seen them from the factory with low fluid (albeit this one was in the factory 100k miles ago).

It's just the first place to check. If everything is normal, then there must be internal transmission wear causing the slip, most likely the C1 clutch pack (see attached TSB).